Tasty Lamb Kofta Recipe
There's something special about the way a platter brings a family together. A meal becomes a visual feast of aromatic meats, colourful salads, refreshing dips and warm bread. This delicious Lamb Kofta is a firm favourite, that can form a heavenly heart to a middle eastern banquet (and the leftovers are great for lunch boxes).
DONNA HAY'S LAMB PITAS
INGREDIENTS1/2 cup (70g) finely grated carrot (about 1 carrot)
1/2 cup (25g) fresh sourdough OR wholemeal breadcrumbs
350g lamb mince
2 tbsp finely chopped mint
1 tbsp honey
1 small clove garlic, crushed (optional)
1 tsp ground cumin
sea salt and cracked black pepper (to taste)
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
12 mini pita breads
3/4 cup (210g) store-bought tzatziki dip OR natural greek style (thick) yoghurt
1 cucumber (finely chopped)
1. Place the carrot in a big bowl and, using the back of a wooden spoon, press it to bring out the juice. Add the breadcrumbs and mix until they're soft from the juicy carrot.
2. Add the lamb, mint, honey, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper. With clean hands or a spatula, mix everything really well to combine.
3. Shape 1 heaped teaspoon of the mixture into a ball. Thread it onto a small skewer and mould it to make an oval shape. Repeat with the remaining mixture to make 10-12 skewers.
4. Place the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Cook the skewers, in batches, for 3-4 minutes each side or until golden brown and cooked through.
5. Top each pita with tzatziki, cucumber and a lamb skewer (or serve separately on a platter for the family to help themselves). Serve with lemon wedges and a simple tomato salad, if you like. Serves 4
Get the look with our Amazon Jungle Divided Plate Set by shopping here.
This recipe is from Donna Hay's Basics to Brillance Kids, which features over 120 fantastic, fun-filled, simple, family-friendly recipes.